Monday, December 11, 2006

Sir, I say to you Good Luck and Good Day

Random thought that just came to me, but has pursued me a bit recently: "Good luck on that midterm!"... "Have a great day!"... "Hope it goes well!".... "Have a good one!"
These are all seem like passive statements to me. What, are we hoping the gods of Luck and Goodness will bless our day's happenings?

I've been struggling to come up with ways of saying to my friends that I want them to do well, try hard, study thoroughly, feel confident, and not let stress get the jump on them. I would say all these things, but text messages can be limiting. "Good luck" just seems to fit ever so easily. But luck comes across as this god, as I mentioned, that either is with you or not. Luck seems especially prevalent in our society, as well as the Asian society.

I guess man will always put their hopes in empty, weak things when they don't have God, whether its luck or themselves.

How about: "This test doesn't matter as much as your eternal salvation! But I hope you try hard anyways!"
Or maybe: "You may not know all the answers on the test, but God does, so serves you right for ignoring Him."
Or even: "Jesus is my study buddy, and I'm doing fine!"

Unrelatedly, where do Christians get such a bad reputation as being annoying and snotty anyways?

No comments: